If you're a movie buff, see what movies are about to hit the theaters, what's their plot, who's directing, who's playing, when it's coming out, etc, and of course, view the trailer.
Premiere dates in the app generally represent the worldwide release of the movie.
For viewing the trailers, a WiFi connection is recommended, especially if HD trailers are enabled.
This app uses the Tango Icon Library, released to the Public Domain, that is part of the Tango Desktop Project, and the Crystal Clear Icon Set created by Everaldo Coelho, used under GNU LGPL License.
MX Player is developed by J2 Interactive (c) Copyright, All rights reserved, and usage of MX Player in this app is in no way an endorsement of it by J2 Interactive.
This app is published under the Freeware license, and does not contain ads.
This app does not, either directly or via third party libraries/frameworks/etc, collect, store or share with third parties any data, personal or not, about the owner of the Android device.
4.1 and up
This app is no longer available.
- added round app icon for supported devices with Android 7
- added adaptive app icon for devices running Android 8 and newer
- other minor improvements
- removed the Update Notification feature. It was designed when free apps could be downloaded from the web browser, without using SAM. This has not been the case for some time now, so this feature is no longer needed.
- optimized error handling
- removed the IMDb link, it was a remanence from before, when the app could not deliver the trailers
- new launcher icon
- minor UI tweaks
- connection issues
- moved the cache folder from the public internal storage or SD card to the app's folder on the private internal storage
- removed the permissions for reading and writing on the external storage, they are not needed anymore
- minor UI tweaks
- app sometimes crashes if a movie poster retrieval failed
- app could crash under certain conditions when loading content from cache
- new visual style for the launcher icon
- some more minor UI tweaks
- some minor UI tweaks
- imported some concepts from Material Design into the UI
- removed the ads, the app is now 100% freeware
- removed the ACCESS NETWORK STATE permission, it was used only by the ad framework
- app crashes if there is not enough space available on the SD card or internal storage to host the app's cache
- dropped support for Android 2.3, 3.X and 4.0
- added support for HD trailers
- enabled the Action Bar
- UI optimisations for phones with full hd displays and for other devices with very high density displays
- posters in the movie info screen were to small on phones with HD resolution
- posters in the movie info screen not large enough, considering display size, on 10" tablets and 7" tablets with WSVGA displays and larger
- other minor display issues with the movie posters
- finally added support for viewing movie trailers, which was the original purpose of this app (via external player, see full info and instructions within the app)
- you can now sort movies by title
- dropped support for Android 2.2
- the view poster feature was removed
- added the feature to view a movie's IMDb page (opens in the device's default web browser)
- added a cache mechanism for posters, making data retrieval much faster. The cache is stored in the SD card or internal storage, so permissions for accesing the SD card/internal storage are needed from now on.
- devices running versions of Android not supported anymore, will no longer receive update notifications
- you can now view the Changelog within the app, via the Menu button
- random crashes caused by Google's AdMob framework
- new UI for all the screens
- added a store link to the About screen, that takes you to my page in the store where you can see a list of all my published apps
- new launcher icon
- on phones, the size of posters on the main screen is now determined by the display density of the phone
- on rare occasions, on tablets, the grid on the main screen had a visual bug (empty cells and/or cells occupied by 2 movies)
- dropped support for Android 2.1
- minor UI tweaks
- revamped launcher icon
- scaled down the Update Notification feature: the screen with the ChangeLog and Download button has been scraped, clicking on the update notification will take you directly to the app's page in the app store, and the ChangeLog can be viewed there via the appropriate link
- for the Update Notification feature, switched from using a third party server to using my own update server
- added a very important "Publishing Info" section to the "About" screen
- reworked icons for displays with Extra High density
- enlarged the size of posters on the main screen for displays with High and Extra High density
- app crashes on Galaxy Tab tablets (the 7" models)
- had to update from the old AdMob framework (before Google buyout) to the new Google AdMob framework (made by Google), wich needs an extra permission to work (Network State). I postponed this as long as possible, but now Google is forcing us to use the new framework, so it had to happen.
- text was to small on 10" tablets running Android 3.2 or higher
- on occasion, when closing the app via the Menu->Quit command, the app will instead get restarted
- changed the style for the buttons, again, this time should be the last
- revamped UI for tablets (both 7" tablets running Android 2.x and 10" tablets running Android 3.x)
- dropped support for Android 1.6
- changed the buttons back to Android stock buttons
- reworked icons for WVGA displays
- app crashes if the filter is used and at least one movie does not have a release date
- the wrong movie info is displayed if the filtering is set to "Show only upcoming" or "Show only in theater"
- added sorting and filtering, accessible from Menu->Options
- Data retrieval fails, or the app crashes, when changing device orientation while the data is being retrieved
- new style for the buttons